Yes there is. As has always been the case, there are several ways to accomplish any task. Let me review the “normal” procedure when using a mouse:
Run the pointer into the upper-right or lower-right corner. The “charms” will show up.
- Move the pointer to the Settings charm and click on it.
- In the Settings panel click on Power.
- Finally click on Shut down.
With just keyboard strokes the procedure is this:
- Hold down the Windows logo key and press I (the letter i) – this brings up the Settings panel.
- Press the up arrow key. This selects Power (shown here).
- Press the Enter key to bring up the Power options.
- Press U – note the “u” in Shut down is underlined.
In notation form the steps are:
Now for a quicker way: using a shutdown desktop shortcut. This tip comes from Ed Bott at ZDNet (The Metro hater’s guide to customizing Windows 8 Consumer Preview).
Make a Windows 8 Consumer Preview desktop shutdown shortcut.
- Press the logo key to bring up the Start screen. Click on the Desktop tile to go to the desktop.
- Right-click in an empty area.
- In the menu move the pointer down to New and then to the right to to open a submenu.
- Click on Shortcut.
- In the Create shortcut dialog type this text: shutdown /p Note that there is a space after the word “shutdown”.
- Click Next.
The next dialog allows you to give the shortcut a name. You can accept the presented “shutdown.exe” – I prefer to shorten it to just “shutdown”.
You now have a shutdown shortcut. The icon may not be exactly what you would associate with “shutdown”.
- So right-click the icon and select Properties.
- Click Change icon… on the Shortcut tab (it opened by default).
- Click OK on the warning dialog to let you choose an icon from the built-in collection.
The new dialog presents a large number of icons. Choose the one you like. You can see in the illustration that I chose the red power icon.
You now have a good looking shutdown shortcut on your desktop. Position it as you prefer.
Now you can quickly shut down the computer from the Windows 8 Consumer Preview desktop. Just double-click the shutdown shortcut and the computer shuts down.
A little bit of background information
The Windows 8 Consumer Preview retains the “Command prompt” program. You can find it on the All apps screen (right-click an empty spot on the Start screen).
This program, us old-timers lovingly call it the “DOS box”, allows you to invoke a large number of computer commands. Just open the app and type help and press Enter. You will se a large number of available commands. One of the commands is “shutdown”. If you type “shutdown” – don’t worry, it won’t execute, it requires a “parameter” – it will show the available parameters or instructions to obtain desired functions. One ot the parameters is “/p” which tells the shutdown program to initiate a “planned” shutdown sequence.
The create shortcut program permit a line of basic computer commands for the shortcut to execute.
© 2011 Ludwig Keck